So yesterday I talked about marketing your business. Today I shall be talking about you as an individual. How do you sell yourself? All good marketing is about establishing the needs of your target audience and positioning your brand(which in this case is you) to meet with their requirement. You must offer the ideal solution; the perfect package.
- Identify your target audience: know who you are and who you are selling yourself to. Understand your potential employers inside out. Know what they want, who they need and align yourself as such. This will not only help you hone your message, it will help you deliver it to the right places.
- Identify your unique selling point: what sets you apart? Spend some time thinking about what makes you different than your peers — your strengths, your passions, and your goals. It could be your specialist training or a unique combination of past experience and personal interests. Once you’ve honed in on your unique selling point, make sure you let future employers or anyone know about it.
- Show a little personality: Be charismatic. Add a little flair to your person. Don’t shy away from talking about your person, your interests and the likes.
- Pay attention to details: Everything you do ultimately contributes to your personal brand.Once your brand has been defined, make sure that the little things — the way you dress, your body language, how you behave with co-workers, the emails you write — are consistent with your brand message.
- Be web savvy: The web has made it easier than ever to promote yourself. Social networking sites such as LinkedIn and twitter now give you direct, accessible channels of communication through which to network and uncover new opportunities. Leverage the Internet people!
Finally, these tips are definitely not all you need. I probably left something out. Share with me in the comment section. How else can you effectively market yourself?